Tours and Main Attractions

Hide Map
Show in map

Tharros was founded by Phoenicians during the 8th century B.C. It is located in the municipality of Cabras, in the Sinis Mainland. The archeological site of Tharros bewitches visitors both for the ruins of the old commercial town and for its geographical position looking over Oristano Gulf and farther The Monte Linas range. Dominating the Tharros ruins there is The San Giovanni Tower built with the stones of Tharros, already abandoned in the 10th century A.C. because of the constant raids north African pirates perpetuated for years along Sardinian coasts. These constant incursions pushed local people to move inland where today we find Oristano, a safer place surrounded by lots of marshes.

Show in map

The forest is an important destination for tourists and scholars, and it can be visited following several paths and trails, many of which extremely evocative; it is equipped with a guest quarters where it is possible to stay overnight; the guest quarters is managed by a cooperative, that offers organised excursions, both hiking and horse ride, and the preparation of typical Sardinian lunches. The tourists can also visit the botanical garden of the forest, which presents the huge floristic heritage whose this area is rich. Inside the forest, the San Giovanni Cave is considered as a naturalistic interesting place, it is a cave-gallery crossed by a road that runs parallel to the Sa Duchessa stream. The tunnel develops under a high limestone face and hosts the trilobite Paradoxides mediterraneus; on the rock faces there are many archaeological remains, likely the ruins of cyclopean walls.

Show in map

Casa Natura Museum
(c/o Montano Linasia Garden)

Set-up in the administrative headquarters of the Montano Linasia Garden, within the Monte Linas-Marganai Park, it features the botany and fauna of Marganai as well as numerous fossils, minerals, mining tools and archaeological artefacts.

Show in map

Restored and reconstructed in the 1960s, the excavations of the Roman temple of Antas brought to life a previous Punic temple of the 6th century B.C., built around a holy rock that was placed in a cell of the temple. The inscription to the emperor bears a dedication to the SARDUS PATER, Sid Babay, the god of the Carthaginians to whom the pre-Punic sanctuary was dedicated. The Romans probably wished to connect the temple to its more ancient local origins, and did not refer to the Carthaginian god in the inscription. The nuragic tombs that were found very close to the temple bear witness to the nuragic links of this area.

Show in map

Presents a vast selection of artefacts from the main civilisations that passed through Sant'Antioco: from the Neolithic origins (3rd millennium B.C.) to the Byzantine era, passing through the Phoenician, Punic and
Roman times. The majority of the artefacts come from the tofet (the sanctuary)
and necropoleis of the ancient city: one can admire domestic or funeral vases, gold and silver jewels, amulets, chrism jars.

Show in map

Sant'Antioco

This is an open-air sanctuary which was founded in the first half of the 8th Century B.C., when the Phoenicians and Carthaginians buried the cremated remains of boys using strange rituals. In the site some 4000 urns and 2000 stone steles were found which depicted divinities, sacrificial animals or sacred aniconic symbols.

Show in map

Buggerru - Henry Gallery
This is the most important structure of the mine Planu Sartu (1865). It allowed the transport of minerals by rail from production to the fronts of Lavera.
And 'situated at an altitude of m. 50 above sea level, just above the town of Buggerru, for about one km and crosses the plateau Planu Sartu.
Its uniqueness consists of the repeated relationship with the sea cliff, through small tunnels and trenches carved in the rock that provide stunning views overlooking the coast and breathtaking views.
Its imposing dimensions were determined by the use (1892) of a steam engine which, thanks to a futuristic rail network, quickly supplanted the slow and expensive transport by mule.

Iglesias - Mine Masua
The granting of the mine was entrusted to the Company in 1859 and Montesanto gradual expansion added other buildings to facilities necessary for the work of the mineral (the washery, the keep and the foundry).
Later other buildings were built, located on different levels in relation with the slope of Punta Cortis, which opens towards the valley to the sea
reef limestone of the Sugar Loaf. This tower faces the "medieval" in Porto Flavia, surely one of the buildings service the mines most original is named after the daughter of the engineer Cesare Vecellio and constitutes the output of the tunnel was built between 1922 and 1924 to facilitate the transportation of ore to be loaded directly onto ships via a cantilevered pier. It is particularly impressive entry of the building in limestone, of course, appreciated from the sea.
Also towards the sea are the enrichment plants built after the war and the arrival station of the ore, tailings basin at which profoundly altered the landscape.
Masua settlements is one of the most simple, but common features of non-village planned and developed in relation to the fortunes of the company that owns the concession business. Still retains a number of buildings lying in the middle of the green slopes of stone ballast to be protected. Despite the simplicity of construction, the administrative headquarters, located on a terrace which gives a prominent role also symbolically stands for the volume of two floors and the central balcony, which distinguish it from other houses, and garden , placed on the lower level.
The other buildings are mostly functional, without giving anything to an ornamental.
Getting there

Iglesias - Mine Monteponi
The great mine of lead ore, zinc and silver has long been one of the most important production facilities in Italy and is still among the most characteristic mining settlements in Sardinia.
It was developed for subsequent aggregation, saturating areas arranged at different levels of the slope, according to the usual logic of the use of progressive strands more suitable.
The oldest plants are the two main wells (Vittorio Emanuele II, 1869, and Quintino Sella, 1874), show that despite the industrial designation derived from classical architecture, with gables, pilasters and cornices. The buildings have gradually stifled these wells have an interesting track of technical progress and production of the mine.
Living in the settlement stands the palace Bellavista, home management, built in 1865-66 by engineer Adolfo Pellegrini, director of the mine. In a prominent position and a time isolated, has a plant in U, with a high base for the ground floor windows and a series of pilasters that frame the openings of the main floor, with a clear reference to courtly models of classic taste. On the back of a semi-circular terraced garden, adorned with exotic plants such as palms, allows a magnificent view of the valley below.
The green surrounds houses also for managers and employees, isolated far upstream, while according to hierarchical principles recurring in all the mines, to the state road from Iglesias, downstream of the houses are arranged in parallel rows of workers houses.
For an intermediate position, the square entrance also provides the public face of the mining company, with the bust of Charles Baudi of Vesme (1877) and service buildings: beyond the old hospital, church, kindergarten, school , all satisfying the criteria of simplicity and efficiency, built between the two world wars. The most striking is the church, inaugurated in 1945, and simple geometric planting, which actually comes from the transformation of the beam of the house (1936) by the deletion of some parts and adding a bell tower and a gable geometry.
The last major intervention Monteponi is the guesthouse, where an entire wall of the large hall is decorated with a fresco of Sassu, built in 1950 and renovated in 1997. The painting shows workers naked, s. the composition, as opposed to the galleries that can accommodate modern miners, dominated by the industrial landscape.
Downstream, beyond the road, since the twenties of the twentieth century took office Monteponi stop with the sulfuric acid plant, concrete and brick.Upstream, always along the SS 126, you can see the impressive accumulation of red mud, now bound by the Heritage Office of Environmental Cagliari, waste resulting from the electrolytic treatment of the zinc from the mine above.

Iglesias - Mine Nebida
Active since the mid-nineteenth century, the mining concession fostered the creation of a village that still retains the original tracks in the square which houses the infirmary, the circle of workers, the building of leadership. The administrative office building now belongs to private individuals and despite the changes, shows
still notched the frame following the whole course of the building U and pointed arch windows which include neo-medieval style, usual in many mining settlements.
The most extraordinary artifact and certainly more spectacular because of its location on the sea is the Lamarmora laundry, built in 1897 and now kept in private coverage, however. It is a building constructed of stone that develops on some routes by large volumes overlapping arcs and is completed by two tall chimneys that report with evidence.
At the foot of laundry on the sea are visible kilns.
The mine is part of the Park Geo-Mining, and Environmental History of Sardinia, recognized by UNESCO.
 

Show in map

The event takes place from 1st to 4th June on the island of San Pietro. The Girotonno is an gastronomic event which is centred around the capture of bluefin tuna and attracts food experts and chefs from around the globe. On 1st & 4th June expect music, shows, street artists and competitions throughout Carloforte.

DISCOVER SARDINIA

Check out the best places to visit, to eat and to shop.